Friday, September 29, 2006

WordSoundPower: An Easy Fast?

BZ already has up my favorite silly YK joke. So instead, I'll turn to a change in language I've come to over the last few years.

I don't know that I want an easy fast. A fast where we rip off the yoke of injustice is not going to be an easy one. Nor is trying to atone for all the sins, great and small, of the year going to be an easy thing. And the urgency we have at Neilah, as the gates are slowly closing (though we all know they're never really closed) should not be easy.

So may you be strong enough and focused enough in your fast and prayer that you're able to succeed. May our hunger be a hunger for the taste of a sweet and just world.

So please, dear readers, if you're fasting sunday night through monday night, have a good fast.

Lshanah Tovah.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"have a meaningful fast" is my favorite

there is also a hebrew phrase I once heard that I think translated as a "fruitful fast", but I forget what it was.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home