Wednesday, December 21, 2005

How I spent the first day of the 2005 Transit strike

Don't let the time listed of my MTA tirade fool you, I posted that at damn near 4am. Got up 2.5 hours later to take Knucklehead and one of her colleagues to school. Dropped in on the parents, watched my nieces for a few hours, then came back into the city... promptly dropped into a deep deep sleep from exhaustion, was planning on hitting myfavoritemonth's birthday party, but the daunting task of driving cross and downtown combined with the sheer exhaustion means hopefully I'll catch her before she heads south.

Schedule1 woke me with this disturbing news. Seems Captain Caveman is now a Yankee. Wow. While I was hoping to wake up to a generous contract, that's not what I had in mind.

Now I have to ask your opinion, dear readers. I've spent the good portion of today arguing with friends and loved ones about why I support the TWU, why I think the MTA might have even WANTED a strike, and found a lot of people skeptical, even blaming the workers and not the MTA. Knucklehead's outtatown buddy pointed out: people would support it more solidly if it wasn't happening to them. But as I was reminded yesterday while tuning in to see if the Blueshirts were playing that some people believe ridiculous things and yell about them with conviction. So I'm cirious: what do you think about the strike? Am I so for it because I'm a labor guy, through and through? Are you angry you can't get around or angry because you think its wrong? Talk to me, I'm curious.

I will say that striking, in part, because you want to protect the rights of future co-workers speaks volumes to me about where their heart is. If only all of us fought that way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know enough about this particular dispute to know where I side. But I do sometimes wonder what it would take to get you and my other labor-guy friends to blame the union for a strike.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know enough about this particular dispute to know where I side. But I do sometimes wonder what it would take to get you and my other labor-guy friends to blame the union for a strike.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home