Wednesday, August 06, 2008

knock knock knockin on George Eliot's door...

Hey Dear readers,

so i know it's been a week or so since you last heard from me. And what a week it has been. Another training. Attempts at working together with the folks where we are. And communication breakdowns and little piddly things are adding up in a hurry.

I'd love to tell you stories about folks I met out here. Actually, let me try to tell you a few of today's, maybe that will help me focus on the good and the interesting.

Met an African American Korean war vet who doesn't vote. He seemed really angry about the Iraq war but wasn't sure about voting. Had a five minute conversation with him or so, and he seemed like he was thinking about voting. His friend was helping me work on him, but he wasn't convinced so i just left the registration. I feel like I maybe got a small child in trouble today, too. I knocked on one door, and a little African American kid, maybe 3, ran up to me on the outside, and said, "nobody's home!" i said "really little man, you're hear all by yourself?" and with this loud exasperated sigh, he said "i'm just playin, they home." He goes inside, and holds the door open for me to come in. I don't go in, though I do hold the screen door open. Large African American guy looks down at him and says, "Did you just let in this muthafucka you don't know?!?!" Needless to say, a woman and a young man in the house registered, and i'm not entirely clear how they were related to the baby, but man, i felt bad.

Just trying to stay positive. Seems that some people are really happy to have us there, and others like to make trouble for the folks who have given up everything and moved away for 4 months to do it. Let's see how this all goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Wandering Jew said...

and others like to make trouble for the folks who have given up everything and moved away for 4 months to do it. Let's see how this all goes.

This is entirely the wrong attitude. But you knew that. I hope they come to realise, and soon!, that you guys are there to help them, and at a significant personal cost.

11:04 PM  
Blogger EMN said...

Go, Ruby, go! Fight the good fight!

We're pulling for you in Beantown.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home