Wednesday, March 07, 2007

When sports and politics collide

No, not taking anything as serious on as the steroids stuff or even that Bush has probably spent more time with sports teams the last two weeks than he has taking care of the health of our nation's veterans, but I'll leave that for another time. Just two sports/politics tidbits, one great, one disturbing:

The good one:
While the Rangers are stalling out a little bit and need a few big wins to make the playoffs, there are some really talented kids in the system that give me hope. One of them is a 20 year old center named Tom Pyatt... who happens to be the leading scorer for Stephen Colbert's favorite hockey team, the Saginaw Spirit!!! BOOYAH! A new reason to get a Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle shirt!

The bad one:
I know you Yankee haters will love to bother me about this, but it freaks me out too much not to say anything. I've been looking forward to this spring training, as the Yanks have some great kids, particularly young arms, that will start to make a diference on the team starting (my guess) as early as this year. But there's one player in camp that gives me chills, and not in a good way. Now playing shortstop, number 73, Alberto Gonzales. Before anyone calls me a racist or anything like that, I OBVIOUSLY know this is not the same guy, not even related, of COURSE I KNOW. But can I tell you how disturbing it is to throw on the game to listen to while working through lunch and hear "Alberto Gonzales made a nice stop on that, helped Hughes out with that one?" That freaked me the hell out. Like, look out Joe, he's tapping the bullpen phone!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Wandering Jew said...

I hate to bring down the good news, but the chances of a Canadian making it big in hockey, if he's still playing for a major junior ("a") team. So it's great that Pyatt is doing so well, but where will he go from here?

And, on a side rant, as much as I enjoy Colbert's hold over Web 2.0, I'm getting tired of seeing an American logo/mascot on a Canadian team. Just sayin'.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Ruby K said...

Good questions, feygele. My guess is the charlotte checkers are next for him- they're the Rangers "AA team", hopefully followed by the Hartford Wolfpack, the Rangers "AAA team" and then I get to see him at the Garden. Hopefully. We'll see.

I hear your side rant, although Saginaw is actually in Michigan, unless there's another Saginaw. It IS kinda odd that there's a team from Michigan in the Ontario Hockey League. Maybe their nationalism is a response to feeling defensive about being an american team in the OHL?

8:54 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Jew said...

You're right, of course, Saginaw is in Michigan. I just assumed it was yet another middle-of-nowhere Ontario town I hadn't heard of (or driven through) yet.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home